Heaven’s Image of Fatherhood
Fathers have been designed to act like God. Their love for their children goes beyond a specific point in time. It actually represents the generational love that our Heavenly Father has for us. Isn’t that just like God to give us a daily reminder of who He is? Six powerful characteristics of our Heavenly Father define a father when they walk in their true design.
Fathers are protectors. (“…in the secret place of His tent will He hide me…” – Ps. 27:5b). They are the family’s covering. Even their silence, at times, keeps the family safe.
- Fathers are providers. (“My God shall supply all my needs…” – Phil. 4:19). They are deeply concerned about the needs of their families and often experience great frustration when they are not able to make things happen. Yet, they are determined to find a way.
- Fathers pray. (“If My people, which are called by name, shall humble themselves and pray…” – II Chron. 7:14). They understand sin separates us from God but know that if they come to God, God will hear them and heal them.
- Fathers are prophets. (“For I know the plans that I have for you…” – Jer. 29:11). They speak over their children’s lives and encourage them to be all that they can be. They see their potential and declare God’s destiny for their lives.
- Fathers are promoters. (“As arrows are in the hand of a warrior…” -Ps. 127:4) . “They realize the need to think less about themselves and more about the next generation and where they’re going. Fathers take advantage of opportunities to help launch their children into their destiny.
- Fathers are praisers! (“Oh that men would praise the Lord…” – Ps. 107:8). They know where their help comes from and are not ashamed to openly praise God. Through their actions, they teach their children how important it is to give thanks to their God.
Fathers are irreplaceable figures in our family. We celebrate them today and every day!